Aid for Gaza
Viva Palestina has successfully broken the siege on Gaza 3 times in the last 18 months. We have delivered millions of pounds of essential humanitarian aid to the people and places in Gaza that need it most. While all the aid we take in is greatly appreciated it has become clear that we must to more to meet the needs of the people in Gaza. A recent interview with the Health Minister in Gaza stated that due to the overwhelming generosity of worldwide solidarity groups they are beginning to face very different problems in Gaza.
- There are issues with finding storage for bulk aid donations and the associated costs of doing this.
- The oversupply of certain medical aid and as a result, quantities of it are now beginning to fall outside the expiry date.
- As there is no means of disposing of this aid we are creating rubbish in Gaza.
To ensure that Viva Palestina does not contribute to the issues outlined above we will be taking Aid to Gaza that has been specified by the organisations within Gaza as being required: Aid that Gaza requests... not what we think they need.
VIVA PALESTINA AID TEAM
All aid items are recorded in our central database to allow us to manage and control the purchase of aid for the convoy. This will help in a number of ways:
- Ensuring that only specified aid is being taking to Gaza
- Ensure that there is not over supply on certain aid items
- Provide a resource for the best suppliers and where aid can be purchased from
- Maintain records of aid that has been purchased by volunteers, coalition partners and donations/gifts in kind
- Maintain records of the total value of aid being taken to Gaza for the entire convoy.
WHAT TO DO NOW
Please contact the Aid Team at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are a registered volunteer in a Donate to Drive vehicle or can help in donating aid towards the convoy. Before you contact us please think about the category of aid you feel you can locate and/or purchase and your estimated budget (e.g £2,000 Low cost Educational Items). Remember, if you are registered under the "Viva Palestina Aid Unit" scheme, we will provide the aid.
Medicine, Baby Milk
Laptops, Computers, Software
Servers, Reprographics machinery
Once you have identified the Aid you wish to purchase please contact the Aid team to ensure that the items you wish to purchase have not already been purchased elsewhere and exceeded the requirements. Second hand purchases need to be approved before purchase and consumables should have no less than a 6 month use by date.
It is essential that you inform us of ALL aid you intend to gather and carry. Ideally we would like copies of receipts if it is bought; if it is donated then a letter (short note) that states where it is from and its approximate value.
We will break the siege on Gaza and we will deliver the aid that is needed to the people that need it.
Can't come on the convoy but want to help?
If you are unable to join us on the convoy but would still like to support us by raising funds to buy requested aid we can provide you with specific named items to focus your fundraising.
Disclaimer - In this case we will do our best to allocate your funds to the aid you have decided to fund raise for, but as this is such a global appeal, we must be flexible in our purchases to prevent over supply. All funds raised will be allocated appropriately and we will endeavour to inform you as to where your funds have been allocated.
We have delivered millions of pounds of essential humanitarian aid to the people and places in Gaza that need it most. Vehicles bringing these supplies are also classed as aid and all vehicles will be left in Gaza and received by the central aid committee. While all the aid we take in is greatly appreciated it has become clear that we must do more to meet the needs of the people and agencies in Gaza.
For London-departing volunteers registered to join the convoy under the Donate to Drive scheme (i.e purchasing their own vehicle), ALL vehicles must be pre- approved by Viva Palestina before purchase. If joining outside the UK please refer to the Convoy Coalition partner for your country. If a vehicle has not been pre-approved we cannot guarantee that this vehicle can be accepted as part of the convoy. For information on how to obtain pre-approval or assistance with vehicle queries please refer to the contact details at the bottom of this page.
Vehicles will be approved on a case by case basis and the following requirements are guidelines only.
- Vehicles should preferably be left hand drive, for safety reasons as they drive on the left in Gaza.
- Vehicles should be no more than 6 years old.
- Vehicles should have no more than 100,000 miles on the clock.
- All vehicles to be registered to the Principle driver. This is essential for the smooth passage through border controls.
- All vehicles must be at least 90% laden with aid with room only for personal effects. There will be no sleeping in vehicles as was the case in previous convoys.
- All vehicles should have an MOT (roadworthy inspection certificate) valid for 12 months.
- All vehicles should undergo an extensive service at least 1 month prior to departure.
- All vehicles should have valid road tax.
TYPES AND MAKES OF VEHICLE
From discussions with our partners in Gaza, Japanese or Korean vehicles are preferred because of maintenance and access to spares. These include Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Mitsubishi Mazda, Hyundai and Kia.
- Mini Buses with and without wheelchair access (LHD preferred for safety reasons)
- Small and medium size commercials.
- Refrigerated vans. (transfer of medicines and food)
- Breakdown/recovery trucks
- Mobile mechanic units
- 3.5 ton trucks.
- Mobile Catering units
For advice on:
- Vehicle purchases
- Vehicle pre-approval process and forms
- Vehicle - Gift in Kind donations
Please contact: email@example.com